The Hippodrome Theatre’s Third Annual New Works Festival
✦ Florida Voices ✦
Calling All Florida Playwrights!
The Hippodrome Theatre supports established as well as new and emerging talent and is accepting submissions for its third New Works festival.
Submissions must be received by August 1, 2022 at 12 p.m.
Winners will be announced September 1, 2022
Development, rehearsals, and performances will run from
October 31 – Nov 5, 2022.
Started in 2020, The Hippodrome Theatre’s annual New Works Festival was created to support narrative voices through the development and exploration of plays in traditional and experimental formats representing the diverse landscape of artists in Florida and their stories which reveal the American experience based on the kaleidoscope of identity. We support innovative, experimental or thought provoking material, formats, and styles.
Some of our selected plays have included the eco-feminist meditation on climate change in Florida in Jessica Farr’s experimental “King Tide”; an investigation of the cycle of incarceration and justice through the eyes of a teen African-American boy in “Terrence” as explored through the hip-hop poetry of Gainesville native Terrence Jackson which he adapted for the stage with Jane Edwards; a musical experiment that investigates the space where identity, loneliness, and community meet in a new musical combining elements of opera and theatre in Ken Pedersen’s “Yes, No, Maybe Omm”; and an innovative-format play that takes a magical look at motherhood and LGBTQ+ identity and acceptance in Monica Cross’ “The Changeling”.
- Chosen playwrights spend one week in residence with a professional producer, director, and Equity or Equity-eligible actors.
- Playwrights receive access to company housing for the duration of the festival.
- Chosen plays receive a $300 prize and housing accommodation the week of the festival if they wish to attend.
- The festival presentations are concert readings and staged readings. The emphasis, therefore, is on the language and dialogue of a show.
- Open to playwrights of all ages, but must reside in Florida.
- Scripts must be original, unproduced and unpublished plays. Plays that have had readings or workshops are eligible.
- Plays must be full length; no less than 60 minutes running time and require no more than 5 actors.
- Writers may submit up to two plays.
- Please use standard script format (Writopia Script Formatting).
- Email submissions of complete scripts must be RECEIVED by noon on August 1, 2022.
What Should I Submit?
- Completed Google entry form
- A short creative resume of the playwright/s.
- A bio of the playwright/s.
One digital copy of your script.
- The second page of the script should contain the following: A one-paragraph synopsis of the play and a character breakdown with brief character descriptions and notation of any doubling.
*Please note: submissions will not be accepted via email. Please use the submission form in order to be considered.
*Due to the high number of submissions, The Hippodrome will not be able to provide feedback on your submitted scripts. Thank you for understanding.